www.RiversideRenegades.com

Home of Riverside Renegades Paintball
It is currently Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brass barrels
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:56 am 

What are your opinions of brass barrles? I have an old j&j brass raptor barrel and its pretty good, but the gun i have it on seems to be inherently inaccurate. I also used to use a Piranha short, which despite having a 4-6 inch barrel was probally the most accurate gun i ever used. I noticed my brass barrel did start to wear, sort of a channel where the balls went down, but i heard from an old player this smooths it out and makes it more accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:13 am 

i had a brass barrel, i dont really enjoy them that much, wern't too acturate or reliable...

~<{}>SPLATT<{}>~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Brass has a lower friction co-efficient than aluminum or steel;, making it easier to push a friction fit object (your paintball) down it. This means less gas is used.

Accuracy depends on a few things:

1. How good is the shooter? Your gun is only as accurate as you.

2. Is the paint fitting well in the barrel? A good bore fit will make all the difference.

3. Is it rifled? Rifled barrels are nothing other that an attempt to separate you from your money. In a firearm, they work excellent, because the projectile can bit into the rifling when it is deformed by the explosion of the powder charge. In a paintball gun, you are firing a a sphere (which inherently is a VERY un-aerodynamic item) int air. No spinning could affect your paintball, even if you spun the paintball to 10,000 rpm before it left the barrel.

For more info on barrels, check out Tom Kay's (the inventor of the auto-mag and countless other paintball innovations) tech tips:

http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/t ... _eff.shtml

As well as see what Glenn Palmer (the man who invented the automatic cocking process in a paintball gun) has to say about barrels. They make all brass barrels, many with no porting, no fanciness. And they are often spoke of as the MOST accurate barrels on the market:

http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/techpages/barrels.htm

Also, J&J has a very good history of making incredible barrels. As for it wearing, it will do that, especially if you don't clean it well, and treat it right.

[url:3eidvjl2]http://www.PaintBallCity.org[/url:3eidvjl2]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:53 pm 

i always use J&j or lapco, just as good as the others too bad they stopped making the brass, i used mine a raptor, it really improved the cone of accuracy but for some reason the raptor had this wierd thing where it would go 30 yards or so then just spin off in a random direction sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes straight down, the j&j helped by extending its range to about 40 yards before it would do this. It most reminded of the A5 flatline pointed side ways to shoot curve balls, maybe the gun was somehow putting some wierd back spin on the ball like the Zbody automag.

I also heard of GZ2000s and rapides having the balls rise in the middle of the trajectory? maybe it was because their barrels were so tight.